Sunday, March 12, 2017

Days 8 - E-mail clutter

I'm been such a slacker on this 40 Bags in 40 Day Challenge conducted by Ann Marie of White House Black Shutters. Like I really did nothing from days 5 - 7. But oh did I make up for it on Days 8-10.

Some of the suggestions that Ann Marie gives for areas to work on include areas, such as e-mail accounts, where you will not actually be bagging up clutter.

So, my Day 8 was devoted to trying to clear out some of the clutter in my e-mail accounts. I have 3 e-mail accounts.

The Yahoo account has been set up since I first established an online presence. I've had it for almost 20 years now, so almost as long as it has been around. The only reason I've kept it all these years is 1) sentimental reasons since it was my first and 2) I've not gotten around to moving some of the more important things over to my gmail account. I rarely ever use the account anymore for sending and receiving e-mails due to the fact that there is just so much junk that flows into that account, some days it's hard to filter out what I really need from the unimportant junk,

My other 2 email accounts are gmail accounts. One is for blogging / genealogy and the other is for the really important things in my life like bills, etc.

Any who, all 3 accounts could use a good clearing but the gmail accounts are not nearly as bad as the Yahoo e-mail account. Therefore the focus for Day 8 was to start trying to declutter the Yahoo e-mail account. I probably have over 10,000 e-mails in that account and some date back over 10 years.

You know how you are always afraid to delete things because you figure as soon as you do, you will need it. That's me and the Yahoo account.

So on Day 8 of the challenge and Day 1 of trying to clear out this account, I deleted 1461 e-mails. For the bulk e-mails, it's rather easy to clear out a ton at one time. Just do a search on a particular e-mail and delete all.

My goal for the remainder of the challenge is to 1) go through the e-mails each day and 2) delete the ones for that day and at least 1000 more.

So there you have it. No bags but more clutter gone from my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment